Tuesday 7 May 2013

An Afternoon Wasted

I was going to put in writing about gaming Earphones, making sure that in case you planned on buying one, or you wanted to learn further about them, you can use this article. I’ve departed from that somewhat (OK a lot), and here is why.


 


When I write articles or reviews (should you Google me you will find that I have written a good deal), I usually use what we writers call a ‘framing device’, which is, a nice beginning/end to the piece that lightly eases you into it, usually via a joke or anecdote. This makes it easier for me to write (I’m not the most technically savvy bloke on Earth) and easier that you can read. I want to buy the products, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have a laugh or 2 , does it?


 


I had a little think about how to frame a piece of writing about Headsets, and came up using a pretty good idea. The great thing about writing on the internet is that no matter which you write about may be immediately accessed, so I decided that I would frame my Headsets article around ‘The Angry German Kid’ viral video, as an example of the kind of people who shouldn’t buy Earphones. If you have not seen the ‘Angry German Kid’ video, it depicts a juvenile German boy attempting to learn the game ‘Unreal Tournament’ and screaming wildly when it does not work. Developing humorous subtitles to accompany the boy’s increasingly deranged ranting has become a pastime beloved by identical those who do those ‘Hitler reacts’ videos (actually, there’s even a crossover of both).


 


In order to learn more about this video, I searched the standard places, but found nothing save for dodgy translations (and, despite being part German myself, I can’t speak a word) and misinformation claiming the boy had been sectioned in a psychiatric organization. Eventually, after a long and exhaustive hunt, I discovered the facts about the Angry German Kid, and a lot more than I needed for a short article about Earphones at that.


 


Because it seems, AGK’s real name is Leopold and he is the culprit for numerous comedy ‘characters’, including ‘Der Echte Gangster’ (a parody of white would-be gangsters) ‘Metaler’ (a parody of ‘cookie monster’ heavy metal singers) and ‘Das Comeback’ where he plays an oafish, but well-meaning, moron. It appears that, the boy was deceived by a German television show, who spread his AGK video (itself intended to send up the (then current) debate in Germany regarding whether violent video games ought to be banned or not. Sadly, the child has resisted making more videos since AGK went viral and he was cruelly bullied at school. As it seems, you are able to quite gladly buy any Headsets you would like, without turning into an irate German. And I wasted a complete afternoon finding that out for you. If you want to see a genuine freakout, go to Youtube and search ‘Greatest Freakout Ever’ and no, I don’t have time to learn the tale behind it for you.



An Afternoon Wasted

No comments:

Post a Comment