Friday 31 May 2013

What is Mario and Luigi"s last name?

 


If you’re in your 20’s, there is a fine chance that Mario and Luigi games have been about in your whole life. We don’t know what we’d do without Mario and Luigi games. There are several of us, I’m sure, who’d see it as an indication of the coming apocalypse. However, the majority of us are merely happy having the little guys around, fixing the plumbing.


 


The influence of Mario and Luigi games might be counter productive, however, as for years my only understanding of Italian society came from the Mario and Luigi games series. In reality, when I had my first Italian training (aged around 11) I did my best Mario impression when delivering my lines to the rest of the class. To his eternal credit, my teacher never once chided me with a demand “do it again, and now be less of a berk!”


 


We’ve even seen solo Luigi spin-offs over the years. Given that Luigi began life as a palette swap of Mario (‘palette swap’ is an antiquated expression dating back to when games had very limited memory and thus not very many sprites appeared per level, so new characters/harder bad guys were denoted by re-coloured sprites. More badass than the standard white ones, and also the ‘Neon Knights’ (that’s what I call them, anyway) on Golden Axe III were positively invincible, despite their extremely questionable choice of battle attire – you may almost imagine Death Adder (with Skeletor’s voice, for some reason) armouring his minions thus: Mwahahahaha!!! You will be my entry-level bad guys, which means you wear dull grey and brown, you’ll be protected, camouflaged and you will not look like a berk, no matter how bad your Italian is! But you, my elite and unstoppable personal guard, YOU shall be clad in Neon Disco Pink! Mwahahahaha!”) He’s done very well for himself indeed.


 


In the Mario and Luigi games tie-in cartoon, that Appeared shown on Saturday morning along with such greats as ‘Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors’ ‘Ulysses 31’ ‘Visionaries’ and ‘M.A.S.K’ (three points for every theme song you possibly can remember) Luigi was presented as a bit of a bumbler, a fool even, actually, I’ve just this second raised a childhood memory of being forced by my friend Jimmy to be Luigi as we acted out the cartoon (aged about 7) and him yelling at me (in Berkish Italian) for having crumbs in my pocket. There, that’s how far back Mario and Luigi games go if you’re my age, there was scarcely a time without them. The mere mention of Mario and Luigi games takes us on a trip down Sends us on a nostalgia trip, so lets-a-go!


 


Today, Mario and Luigi are embracing a more modern direction, which is terrific. Though, should you be a parent who’s a little older than me, let me set the record straight on a few things 1) You really won’t learn Italian by playing Mario 2) There is nothing to be learned about plumbing from these games 3) he/she’s going to seem like a berk if they do the accent. That is all.



What is Mario and Luigi"s last name?

No comments:

Post a Comment